Pages

Friday, February 09, 2007

Day Off

For several days now I've been comatose under my rug hooking project and I've only come out of my trance today because my over-used body has demanded it. Five years ago I had carpal tunnel surgery and the memory of all that has taught me not to push my body too hard. So reluctantly I have put the hook down (it is a Joan Moshimer hook for all of you in the know and I love it) and today I will clean up the big wooly mess in the studio and maybe start a painting. I've posted 3 photos for you of the progress; there is nothing fast or rhythmic about putting in the stitches for me - I would be interested to hear from anyone who has had an easier time of it.

You are looking at 4 days worth of hooking here - probably at least each day in excess of 8 hours. It is crazy, I know, to work at it so determinedly, but that is how I go about everything. I once spent 30 days straight hand quilting a bed quilt until I had every bit of it done. I found that soothing.

So this is how the rug is going to look until my hand feels better. I may have to hide it somewhere because every time I look at it I want to work on it some more. No no no.

Here is a little bit of what's going on outside in the Pacific Northwest. The daffodils are springing to life. The daphne is preparing to bloom.

It's definitely time to prune the roses if you haven't done so already. Now I'm off to clean the studio.

6 comments:

Paula, the quilter said...

I am going through an episode of carpel tunnel right now. I had surgery about 30 years ago for that and then last april for trigger thumb. I'm seeing a massage therapist next week to see if that will help with it. Like you I've stopped doing things until it heals.

His Office, My Studio said...

I too have learned just how much work I can do before my hand says STOP.

Love the rug, you are doing a great job! But take it easy.

Carla Sonheim said...

No way! Flowers already? That's a happy thought...

Linda O'Neill said...

Give those hands a rest, Judy. The rug looks AWESOME so far though!

Anonymous said...

The rug looks wonderful so far.
But I'm dying to know.... "Life is but....." ??? !!

Judy Wise said...

Life is but a dream!!spa