Pages

Monday, September 03, 2007

New Journal, Zap Mama, Artfest Sign-Up

I love to make the next journal before the last one is filled. Such a feeling of anticipation; to see the book with its pristine pages waiting to be started. For this journal I did a very extravagant thing and decided to use a stack of fabulous Fabriano paper that I've been saving. This paper is so exquisite - just to touch the pages is to feel the quality and history of the mill that created it. I used the light gray color and since it is thinner than what I usually use in my journals I was able to make 4 signatures instead of 3. An old printmaker friend gave me this paper as well as lots of handmade paper (an obsession we shared) so I think of her often while in my studio. We were friends in the late 70's, so long ago now.

I made the front and back covers on 8" x 10" acrylic panels. If you enlarge the photo above you'll see that the front cover is partially transparent. I glued tissue paper printed with inkjet images directly onto both sides of the acrylic panel and then glued on a cut-out photocopy of one of my stencil images. For the back cover I created an image in Photoshop and then printed it out onto fabric transfer paper. Once I transferred that to fabric and I glued that to the outside of the cover, then glued Japanese printed paper on the inside of the cover.

So above is both front and back attached to the canvas spine. I forgot to reverse the fabric transfer but decided to live with the outcome.

And this is what the inside of the covers look like, ready to receive the signatures. I got a great shot of the pierced signatures but then accidently deleted it. Ack!

My gosh-awful messy studio, sunny window, favorite fig tree, itty-bitty journal cover standing up on the work area to show that it is transparent to the light.

As I was working I found this scrap of paper on the floor, exactly as you see it. Since it certainly was a glorious day I glued it on the cover.

Here are the four signatures looking down from the top of the spine.

And the stitching on the spine. Terry Gross was interviewing Alice Cooper as I worked. Funny how something like that will stick in your mind. Now every time I look at this journal I'll think of Alice Cooper. Ack again.

Here it is, photo copies of my own work, tissue collage, the whole enchilada. Reminding me. Pilar gave me an awesome gift this week. She said she loves to cook; the whole kitchen witchery thing of stirring up seductive food. Oh, I loved that image. I am a reluctant cook. But yesterday I cooked another meal for my recuperating friend (chili verde, tortillas de maiz, arroz, salad) and as I worked I thought of brujeria de la cocina and that made it FUN! So now I want to cook more stuff. (no photos this time)

Here is a wild shot of the opening act of Zap Mama. We went to see them on Saturday night and it was a great concert. No photos allowed of the Mama's (sorry). I am such a rule follower. But here is a link to a cool song-video of them. Eye candy and ear candy.

This is a cheater page because I hooked 2 pages together for you. Why? I don't know. Just messing around. Loving a Labor Day with no labor whatsoever (I slept in to 10:25 am - hah!) and just plenty of time to pet the cat, drink coffee, get a little caught up (but not enough) and finish the new journal.

Last on the list: Artfest registration tomorrow. This will be my 4th year. I am thrilled to be teaching 2 classes but also missing out on taking from some of my talented companeros. I will never stop taking classes as long as I'm able. Learning new things keeps me energized and happy and that keeps me healthy and glad to be alive. I think that's all for now.

13 comments:

Deb said...

What a gorgeous, fun book, Judy. I would love to touch those signature pages. I made one book in a class at A&S. It was my first and my last. So, so hard. I do treasure it though, and wish I had the conviction to journal in it. I am always so envious of a beautiful journal like the one you are finishing, but it just isn't in my blood. Thank you for sharing yours. It does my heart good.

Deb

Dreamcicle Journeys said...

What a beautiful journal! Glad you enjoyed your Labor Day weekend. The smells from la cocina de la brujaita are coming through the monitor into my studio. Yummy! I signed up for your Waxy Layers class at AF and my fingers are crossed to get into it. Con muchos abrazos, Paula

Anonymous said...

Judy,
I love your journals. I love your art. I read your blog every day and I am so inspired by you. A long time ago I emailed you and you were kind enough to tell me how to create my own acrylic journal covers. The journal I am working in now has acrylic covers and I love it so much- thank you for taking the time to anwser me back and let me find this new art form. You touch so many with your art and I just wanted to stop and let you know you have touched my heart too.
Kim R.

Amy Stoner said...

GREAT Journal! :)

I am so bummed that yet again, I will not be able to partake in artfest fun next year...especially that you are teaching a class! :( You will just have to share all those fabulous pictures again so I can live vicariously through you!

See you tomorrow at the IEA meeting. I can't wait!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I need to learn how to make a journal like that-- frabjous! And . .? I sent in my registration to artfest this morning! Woot-- see you in April, baby!

~bluepoppy

Ro Bruhn said...

WOW JUDY, just love all of this, your journal looks fantastic, thanks for showing how you put it all together, I love your studio and view too, love to see where others work.
Ro
xo

Carolyn said...

Judy, I love your journal covers as much as I love what you put in them. I've never made my own journal but I'd love to give it a go...! Could you tell me what kind of thread you use to sew the pages to the spine> could I use dental floss?!!!
thanks for the inspiration!

katie said...

gorgeous, gorgeous, GORgeOUS...did i mention gorgeous book??!!!

i love how you take the time to show and tell how you create your beautiful artworks...a more generous artist i have never met in my life.
xo me

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous journal Judy!! I sent my Artfest registration in and am crossing my fingers and toes that I get into one of your classes! I adore your art!

Anonymous said...

The care, detail, and love you put into this book reflects the pure joy you have for creating. It is such an honor to be able to witness this process. :D

Your dinner sounds delicious!; pure kitchen witchery! ;D

Anonymous said...

I love your journal! Makes me want to cuddle back up over mine and breathe some new life into it!
And thanks for posting that pic of your studio...I always thought I was the only one with such a small and chaotic workspace...but it seems we can shake hands in that respect! I'll be back on your log...I enjoyed reading it!

Ricë said...

ooooh, good--i'll get to meet you at artfest! and that reminds me, re: you post about being a student: i DO get to take some classes. yay! i'd forgotten about that.

Maija said...

There are only 2 words for your book....freakin' awesome!