Pages

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Pink and Yellow


Just a check-in before heading into the kitchen to whomp up some food for the Father's Day BBQ. June is crazy busy over here as it probably is at your house too. In my case I'm either online conversing with the plaster class or in the studio shooting more video for the wax class. Teaching online compared to teaching in person is an interesting contrast. Certainly there are many more hours involved, even when factoring in the making of travel reservations and hours sitting in airports.


But it is so nice being at home; doing it all in a warm setting that I have more control over, having access to all my tools and not having to hunt for everything in a series of packed boxes.


What I miss is the interaction; the look on someone's face when they get it, being able to see that quiet one in the corner who is too shy to ask but needs a little encouragement. I love the performance of the face to face experience and reacting in the moment to the class dynamic.


Anyway, just a few reflections on teaching online. Meanwhile the world is moving faster than ever, change is everywhere, only a few more "in person" classes later this year and then I'm hanging up my apron in 2012 to paint and spend more time here sharing. This has become yet another kind of journal for me - beside the main journal, the diary, the calendar notations. 

I'm just a gusher. It's in my DNA to opine, record, report and hold forth. 

Okay, I'm shutting up now. Time to be the kitchen goddess. I hope your Sunday is sweet.

13 comments:

Janine said...

Oh how I wish we were neighbors! I might just set up a tent in your yard!

jgr said...

What a great post! Your words always inspire me.

Gwen said...

I am so glad you are a gusher, there are many who enjoy your gushing as much as I do!

Trace Willans said...

If you didnt teach online I wouldn't be able to do your lovely workshops. That is the highlight, the fact that your reach is so much greater. And in many ways you only have to teach the online workshop once and then it can go on giving. And you can also do being there workshops as well.

Judi D. said...

Is that a David Austin rose at the top? And a peony! - oh, I wish we could have peonies in Southern California. Thanks for the beautiful photos. I'm glad I had a chance to take a class before you hang up your apron :-)

Bren Graham Thebeau said...

And we love that you are so willing to share your life, your art your spirit with us!
As always, I'm in awe of what grows in your garden and the beauty you capture with your lens.
And for those of us who are not in a location where there are few opportunities for workshops, we appreciate the ones that are being offered on line. Thank you for all the hard work & time that goes into them.

BJ Lantz said...

I'll certainly miss your beautiful smile in person ~ but I wish you the best in this next art chapter ~ who knows where it will take you!

Another contrast of online vs in person ~ you can't have Beatle's sing-alongs online!! While I certainly enjoyed the fun art making, what I remember most about the class I took with you was the camaraderie of the entire class. Somehow you created a magical atmosphere in that cabin, sistah :-)

jill nalette said...

the flowers are beautiful!! i have to say being a student in an on-line course is different than being in an actual class. both have it's pros and cons.
miss you lovely!

love, hugs and smiles~ jill

Rita Maria Gallery said...

judy, i am so lucky to have meet you (online in plaster studio). you just have such a sweet delightful spirit. i love hearing your voice in the recordings. thank you!

Laura said...

You must NEVER shut up!!! Write that down somewhere so you do not forget. Sheese.

60 years of Making Art said...

I love seeing your garden and hearing about your life.

I am visiting Oregon for 10 days in July.I got a fantastic deal on Delta from Mexico City, and am so looking forward to soaking up the art scene in Portland. Naturally, I will get to Ashland to see family also.

Finally raining in San Miguel!

Rosepetals said...

I love your warm heart... your pics, and your great outlook on life.. thank you for all you do and your inspirations..

Artes da Cris said...

Hi Judy. I'm amazed how you guys from the northern hemisphere celebrate the seasons...Here in Brazil we don't pay so much attention to the changes around the year. We should!!! Each day is important, each season means something. Maybe living in the big city changes our human nature. I really appreciate what you guys do...
Big hug,
Ana