Pages

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Guest Post: Ruth Armitage

Hello dear Readers. Allow me please to introduce you to a wonderful friend, Ruth Armitage.


Introducing a New Instructor for Art & Soul Portland
Guest Post by Ruth Armitage

For years I've been thinking about teaching at Art & Soul, and this year I'm finally doing it! I'm so excited to meet the wonderful instructors and participants I've been hearing about all these years. But first, I need to let everyone know about the fun class I've put together for the Portland retreat. I realize that some people may not have run across my work or classes before, since my teaching has been limited to other venues. So… let me tell you a little bit about myself!

Me teaching a class in Bend, Oregon
I've been painting for almost 25 years and teaching for 15 years. My favorite thing about teaching is watching the creative process: seeing everyone bring their own intuition, experience and aesthetics to the work. I love it when everyone in the class starts with the same instructions and process and comes up with something totally unique and beautiful. And of course, I love people! As a former high school English teacher, I am organized and a good communicator.

My work has been recognized and published in national watercolor magazines and exhibitions. I've even won some pretty nice awards! I exhibit regularly at Riversea Gallery in Astoria, Oregon and Mary Lou Zeek Gallery in Salem, Oregon.

"Saturated" watercolor on Yupo ©Ruth Armitage
My inaugural class is called "Putting the Ritz on Yupo" and I hope you'll join me! The wonderful thing about painting on yupo is that it is so non-threatening. If you don't like what turns up, it is easily erased!

Yupo makes a great surface for journal or book pages since it remains perfectly flat - no warping or wrinkling. And it is nice & smooth for drawing or journaling. But the best thing about yupo is that it can produce incredible textures! We are going to use some very easy techniques to get started, including stencils and stamping. The possibilities are endless!

Perhaps you've tried this surface before & been frustrated? I will teach you some unique methods to control the flow and tame the textures - keeping them where you want them! 

Here's a link to the class sign-up & description: http://www.artandsoulretreat.com/retreat-Portland2012-2282-workshop.php Shake up your creative process by trying something new this retreat. I promise, you won't regret it!

You can see more of my work on my website & blog: http://rutharmitage.com Drop by & visit the blog to get to know me a bit better :)

I don't like to 'toot my own horn' so I'll let a few of my former students do it for me. Here is what they had to say about my classes:

"I really appreciate you as a teacher as well as an artist.  I’ve had lots of workshops with many different people – some of them quite famous.  But you have been the best at actually teaching as opposed to demonstrating or having students copy exactly what you are doing. - Corinne McWilliams"

"Ruth, I think you are a wonderful teacher.  Thank you for your positive and fun attitude.  I especially liked to learn from your example, and I was glad to see you paint and struggle at times too…then solve whatever problem a work presented. -Debra Chase"

"This is a thank you of sorts - for your fun, enthusiastic teaching - where I remember the joy you imparted more than the lessons (though the lessons remain pretty strong too!) - Leslie Dugas"

Ruth Armitage
Visit my website: http://rutharmitage.com

5 comments:

Ruth Armitage said...

Thanks so much for the shout-out Judy!

Lynn Cohen said...

Nice intro!

Chris said...

Hi Ruth! Nice picture! I wish I could go, it sounds like a wonderful class.

Unknown said...

Go Ruth, this will be an awesome class! Sending you hugs!

Hi Judy ;)

♥Jenny

Drawing classes melbourne said...

It feels awesome to read such informative and unique articles on your websites.